Capozzoli Catering was started by Tony and Alice Capozzoli in 1936
Ralph V. Capozzoli, Retired
Ralph, the eldest son of Tony and Alice Capozzoli officially joined the business in 1970. Along with his parents, Ralph worked hand in hand with every catering event. From a simple "Beef & Beer" to an elegant wedding, Ralph always maintained a high standard of satisfaction for clients and every guest in attendance. He treated each and every client as family. He loved what he did, and did it well. Now retired, he is enjoying the next chapter in his life with his wife Ann, children and grandchildren.
Michael V. Capozzoli, President
Michael, the youngest son of Tony & Alice Capozzoli also grew up in the business. He joined Tony's Catering full time in 1976. Since then, Michael and Ralph have successfully expanded their parent's catering business into a thriving company. They have now acquired exclusive operating rights to three banquet facilities in Pennsylvania and Delaware. Along with this they have transitioned the family business into the 21st Century. Michael is a respected member of his community, serving on his local School Board for over 33 years, eleven of which as president. When not working, Michael enjoys spending time with his wife, Eileen, his children and grandchildren.
Anthony R. Capozzoli, Catering Manager
The son of Ralph Capozzoli, Anthony earned a BA in Hotel and Restaurant Management from Widener University, and joined the team in 1996. Anthony, like his father, is very people friendly and always treats his clients like family. He also coordinates the service staff and assembles a team that always maintains The Capozzoli Family's standard of excellence. Anthony along with his wife, Eileen, has two children.
Christopher M. Capozzoli, Marketing Director
The eldest son of Michael, Chris is a graduate of St. Joseph's University with a BA in Food Marketing and joined the team in 1998. Chris' knowledge of the industry is a key part to the success of Capozzoli Catering. Keeping current on market trends and ideas, he always brings fresh ideas to menus, events and staff functions. Chris is married to his wife Erica. They have two children.
Michael D. Capozzoli. Executive Chef
The youngest son of Michael, Michael is a graduate of Johnson & Wales University with a BA in Culinary Arts, and joined the team in 2003. Like his brother and cousin, he grew up in the business and decided to further his education in the culinary field. Michael interned with several well-known restaurants, hotels and caterers. His talents are exemplified through his knowledge of current food trends as he tailors the menus to accommodate the wants and needs of each and every client. Michael, along with his wife Gina, have two children and one on the way in July 2014
Terri Wright, Lazaretto Sales Manager/Wedding Coordinator
Terri joined our Team in the Spring of 2013. She hit the ground running! Her enthusiastic personality and her quest for perfection is the right combination for this position. Her only mission is to ensure each client is completely satisfied with their Wedding or Event. Terri is very knowledgeable and can guide you through your wedding planning process, she has countless contacts for any type of vendor you can imagine! You can also count on Terri to be at each and every event to great her client and make sure the event is going according to plan. She has been a great addition to our Team and we are excited to have her for many years to come!
The Lazaretto Ballroom is named after the Historic Lazaretto Quarantine Hospital whose original building is located just a few hundred feet away.
The excerpt below is taken from "The Delco Files" written by Jack Myers
"Built in 1799, the Lazaretto was the Philadelphia Board of Health's response to the infamous yellow fever epidemic of 1793. The purpose of the hospital was to protect the city and port from infectious diseases.
The Lazaretto Hospital easily predates both New York's Ellis Island and San Freancisco's Angel Island. The Lazaretto complex is ten-acres and operated as the regions inspection station for nearly a centure (1799-1897). It derives its name "Lazaretto" from Saint Lazarus, the patron saint of lepers. All ships traveling upriver on the Delaware were detained and inspected; cargo for contamination and people for disease. The sick immigrants were detained in the quarantine facility until they either recovered or perished"
During the yellow fever epidemic of 1870 most of the hospitals staff was sicken. In 1892 19,000 immigrants were quarantined for 20 days each during a massive cholera epidemic. The Lazaretto was eventually closed as an inspection station in 1897, with operations transferred to a newer facility in Marcus Hook, PA.
The Lazaretto was reborn in the early 1900's as a pleasure resort and athletic club. During the 1920's it was transformed into Philadelphia's seaplane base. In 1972 the Lazaretto was added to the National Register of Historic Places.
In 2003 the Preservation Alliance placed the Lazaretto on its Most Endangered Historic Properties List. It was at this time Tinicum Township and state politician Ron Raymond spearheaded an ambitious plan to save the Lazaretto from Developers who wanted to turn it into parking for the Philadelphia Airport.
On July 28, 2005, with millions in state funding, Tinicum Township bought the Lazaretto from developers and secured additional funds to erect a fire house, the only viable option for saving the Lazaretto.
In October of 2008 after Essington & Lester Fire Companies combined the Tinicum Township Fire Station #48 was opened with The Lazaretto Ballroom to follow shortly in April 2009.